Sven Swift presents I’m Odd Fashioned Pts.1 & 2
Another exclusive to Nutriot, this time some stone cold jazz steez.
“You know Sven Swift best from his work as Error Broadcast label manager or you probably came across one of his mixtapes before. A couple of weeks ago, he asked if I wanted to host his jazz mixtape and today it’s finally going up. But let’s hear about Sven’s motives for digging out some jazz records rather than the ill beats from all corners of the world (like Russia).” – Nutriot
‘The 1960s were awesome times for Jazz music, or more precisely, Anti-Jazz music. Pioniered by the likes of Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane, young US American Jazz cats shifted the genre to a whole new level exploring the modal qualities of Jazzmusic. At the edges of Free and Avantgarde Jazz (the New Thing!), music full of beauty and adventure was created.
My two-parts mixtape showcases a small selection of artists and songs from this period of time I found matching each other, somehow. There’s a certain atmosphere of odditiy about each work, bridging antithetic artists as Sam Rivers and Antonio Carlos Jobim or Anthony Williams and Charles Mingus.’ – Sven Swift
01. Eric Dolphy – Hat & Beard
02. Joe Henderson – Black
03. Antônio Carlos Jobim – God and the Devil in the Land of the Sun
04. Bobby Hutcherson – Idle While
05. John Coltrane – Lonnie’s Lament
06. Sam Rivers – Involution
07. Pharoah Sanders – Colors
And here’s Part 2!
01. Andrew Hill – Cantarnos
02. Anthony Williams – Barb’s Song to the Wizard
03. Jackie McLean – Love & Hate
04. Charles Mingus – Group Dancers
05. Grachan Moncur III – Air Raid
06. Ornette Coleman – Elizabeth