Willo J presents California’s Dreaming: Studio One in the Seventies
Here’s a boss mix from the other half of the House Of Wax duo, Willo J. Digging deep into his vinyl trove, Willo has come up with a set of Seventies scorchers from Jamaica’s premier label and recording facility, Coxsone Dodd’s Studio One. The selection showcases some fine reinterpretations/covers of soul and chart hits of the day coupled with a stack of groovy JA originals. This period was such a vibrant time for the label, and Willo has captured this feeling perfectly with his new mix.
Don’t forget, you can catch Willo alongside Sir Robbo and guests at The House Of Wax on the last Sunday of each month upstairs at Essen Restaurant & Beer Cafe here in Sydney. The first session takes place this coming Sunday, the 31st of October. Get down.
1. Alton Ellis – Sunday Coming
2. Dennis Alcapone – Sunday Version
3. Jerry Jones – Compared To What
4. Winston Francis – California Dreamin’
5. Hortense Ellis – People Make The World Go Round
6. Leroy Wallace – Far Beyond
7. Horace Andy – Ain’t No Sunshine
8. Freddie McKay – Picture on The Wall
9. Lord Tanamo – Keep on Grooving
10. Jackie Mittoo – Totally Together
11. Otis Gayle – I’ll Be Around
12. John Holt – Darling I Need Your Loving
13. Rolando Alphonso – Rolando Sharks
14. The Heptones – One Love
15. Burning Spear – Door Peeper
16. Dennis Brown – There Must Be A Fight
17. John Holt – Be Wise
18. Alton Ellis – The People
19. Nina Soul – Sleeping Trees
20. Al Campbell – Take A Ride
21. Johnny Osbourne – Truths And Rights
22. Jackie Mittoo – A Big Car
23. Willie Williams – People
24. Sugar Minott – Try Love
Compliled by Willo J 20/10/2010
RIP Gregory Isaacs
Isaacs, who was 59 years old, died on Monday morning at his home in London where he spent part of his time.
Close friends told BBC Caribbean that he had originally been diagnosed with cancer of the liver which had then spread. Isaacs had one of the finest voices ever in reggae, a true king of lover’s rock, he was one of the giants and a favourite of mine.